Home > Android, Linux > Setup Android Development Environment on Linux Mint 12 (Lisa)

Setup Android Development Environment on Linux Mint 12 (Lisa)

December 9th, 2011 Leave a comment Go to comments

The following how-to will outline the steps required to install the Android development environment on the Linux Mint 12 (Lisa) distro. This will consist of the java JDK, Eclipse and the Android SDK.

Update System

Run at a terminal the following:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Confirm Java Development Kit Installed

Run at a terminal the following:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

Confirm that it is running, by executing the following

java -version
javac -version

The result should be as follows:

Install Eclipse

In Linux Mint 12 the version of Eclipse available in apt-get was 3.7.0, at the time of writing this post the version available on the eclipse website was 3.7.1, if you want the latest version follow this process to install the apt-get version then update this.

The version that the Android Developers page recommends is either the classic version or the java developer version. As the classic version contains all the plugins for the Java Development Tools (JDT) and the Plugin Development Environment (PDE) version, this how-to will install the classic version. To install run the following in a terminal.

sudo apt-get install eclipse

Confirm Correct Java Version in-use

At a terminal run the following:

update-java-alternatives -l

If the version is the sun version as listed below, then you don’t need to do anything:

However, if the version is not the sun java version then you will need to run the following at a terminal to set this to the correct version

sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun

Install Android SDK

The latest version of the Android SDK can be found here, the latest version at the creation of this blog was release 15. Download and extract, I extracted this to my home directory “~/”.

Update Eclipse

Open a terminal run the following:

sudo eclipse

Now select Help –> Install New Software. Then at the top of the screen click “Software…. “, select add then type in “http://download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo”, close the add window, then tick and enable the newly added repository. Now close the window then select Help –> Check for Updates. Let this run and update your version of the eclipse.

Follow the prompts to install.

Install Eclipse Plugin

A great step by step guide for this is found on the Android Developers website, it can be found here.

I do suggest however that you change the url for the repository to “http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/” and that you run eclipse from a terminal like this:

sudo eclipse

Setup Android Plugin

Close eclipse and start as normal (ie not as sudo), a window will open prompting you to install the SDK. Select “Existing” SDK and browse to the already downloaded SDK.

Download any extra components you want for the SDK.

You are now ready to start developing for the Android environment.

1. androidFan
    December 31st, 2011 at 18:31 | #1

Nice guide, only a couple of things to note –
    there’s a typo in your eclipse software source, should be:

Also, when using a 64 bit os you need to install ia32-libs, otherwise there is some problem with adb:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

2. January 3rd, 2012 at 23:40 | #2

@androidFan
    Cheers for noticing that. Fixed up the url in the main post.

Also good point on the ia32-libs I completed this article from memory after the fact.

3. LinuxNewbie
    January 15th, 2012 at 04:59 | #3

I have followed almost all of the above instructions and everything seems to have gone well, though some of the installations in “update Eclipse” and “Install Eclipse Plugin” couldn’t be found.

I can open Eclipse using “sudo eclipse”, but I always get the response “W: Cannot inject update-sites, cannot find the correct config.” What does this mean?

Also, you end with “Close eclipse and start as normal (ie not as sudo)”. What command do I type in to do that?

• January 16th, 2012 at 19:15 | #4

Hi,

Not sure about the “Cannot Inject Update-Sites”, where exactly are you seeing this? Can you get a screen shot or something.

On the open as normal not sudo, this can be done by selecting on the menu -> programing -> eclipse, or in the terminal just type eclipse, without the sudo.

Cheers
      Dan

4. LinuxNewbie
    January 20th, 2012 at 08:38 | #5

Thanks Dan I was sure I was missing something simple.

With regards to the “Cannot Inject Update-Sites” thing, it came whenever i started Eclipse via sudo but by starting it normally now I think I can avoid that

thanks again

5. scott knight
    February 4th, 2012 at 08:40 | #6

wow dont know what we would do with out knowledgeable people like this thank you so much for makeing this a how to for newbs

6. alex
    July 11th, 2012 at 10:34 | #7

Thanks for the first half of this page! I got a bit confused with the ‘sudo eclipse’ stuff. I was taught never to invoke graphical applications with sudo; instead to use gksudo. I did this, when I discovered that this month’s ‘installing eclipse under linux’ problem is something like (edited for sanity):

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
    Software being installed: Android Development Tools
    com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.feature.group (blah) requires ‘org.eclipse.wst.sse.core 0.0.0′ but it could not be found

using gksudo, but pointing at my eclipse/workspace, instead of root’s, seems to have done the trick – although I’m too exhausted from this orgy of googling and experimentation to see if what i’ve ended up with actually lets me compile anything!

7. September 20th, 2012 at 15:45 | #8

Thanks for such an excellent details. i am also android operating system handling system os designer so that details is very useful for me..

8. Kruno
    January 2nd, 2013 at 21:11 | #9

There is a bether choice now for android dev.
    With the ADT Bundle you will get the whole eclipse with preinstalled tools and the SDK (see “http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#ExistingIDE”).
    Unzip enywhere and start /adt-bundle…/eclipse/eclipse

9. January 23rd, 2013 at 06:47 | #10

great post, very informative. I ponder why the other specialists of this sector don’t notice this. You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you
    have a great readers’ base already!

10. March 25th, 2013 at 17:38 | #11

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoyed every bit
    of it. I’ve got you book-marked to look at new stuff you post…

11. April 9th, 2013 at 08:30 | #12

Wow, that’s what I was seeking for, what a stuff! existing here at this web site, thanks admin of this web page.

12. April 27th, 2013 at 01:31 | #13

Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any recommendations for novice blog writers? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

13. May 3rd, 2013 at 11:33 | #14

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! However, how
    can we communicate?

14. July 16th, 2013 at 10:29 | #15

you are in point of fact a excellent webmaster.
    The website loading pace is amazing. It sort of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick.
    Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you have done a magnificent activity on this topic!

1. No trackbacks yet.