Home > Android Xoom > Root MZ601 Xoom Tablet (Telstra 3G)

Root MZ601 Xoom Tablet (Telstra 3G)

I’ve finally decided to give in and root my tablet as I would like to upgrade to the custom ICS ROM’s that are available on the XDA-Developers forum. So to achieve this I first need to root my xoom.

NOTE: Follow these instructions at your own risk, do some reasearch, don’t just trust what I am saying will work for you

My Xoom: MZ601 Australian Telstra 3G + WIFI (currently 3.2)

Step 1:
Download and install the Xoom drivers from motorola, found on the Motorola Website

Step 2:
Setup your Xoom to enable “USB Debugging”, found Settings -> Applications -> Development

Step 3:
Plug in the Xoom with a USB Micro cable and wait for it to install. You will now have a portable device with two drives

Step 4:
I would Strongly suggest that you complete a BACKUP of anything that you can’t lose.

Step 5:
You can root your Xoom manually or use a script tool, the one I used is LordAIOTool. Detail of this can be found on the XDA-Developer forum. The tool is very easy to use, first unzip to C:\

Step 6:
Run C:\LAIOT\LordAIOTool.bat, keep pressing enter through the following screens. It will locate your Xoom and connect to it, when all done you should see the below screen:

LordAIOTool-Selection

Step 7:
Make sure you unlock your BootLoader by selecting 2

LordAIOTool-UnlockBootloader

Note: This will wipe your Xoom so ensure you have a backup of everything you need.

Step 8:
Select Xoom from the device list 1 (That is if your device is a Xoom)

LordAIOTool-ChooseDevice

Step 9:
Your Xoom will now reboot and you will be presented with what looks like the normal boot screen, however there will be some text in the top left corner, when this happens press enter on your laptop and your Xoom should change to the below:
UnlockBootLoader

Step 10:
Using the volume buttons, press “Volume Down” so the text changes to “I Accept”, then press “Volume Up” to select

Step 11:
You will be asked if you want to continue with the unlock, press “Volume Down” to change option to “Yes” then press “Volume Up” to select

Now wait as you Xoom will be formatted and Unlocked. Once complete it will reboot.

Step 12:
Once started up you will need to “Re-Enable” the USB Debuging Mode as mentioned in “Step 2″

Step 13:

Note: I thought the tool did not work for me so I installed this manually, however the step I missed which stuffed up the process was on the first reboot after loading the CWM, you need to enter the Recovery Mode at this step, or you can’t get in and will need to re-do the process.

So the steps I took were as follows, as I thought LordAIOTool did not work. So to do this manually, download the recovery image from ClockworkMod Website. Choose the version of the recovery image for the device you have, mine was Motorola Xoom and version 4.0.0.4

Rename downloaded file to “recovery.img” and save to directory “C:\LAIOT\ROMInstaller”

Also copy update.zip from C:\LAIOT\Tools to the root of the sdcard

Step 14:
Reboot into “Fastboot” mode, by selecting the “Volume Down” button when the “Dualcore” logo is on the screen during boot up. Press “Volume Down” until the text in the top left changes to “Fastboot”, then press “Volume Up”

Step 15:
Once Fastboot is on the screen, open and command prompt and go to the directory C:\LAIOT\ROMInstaller and run the below command

FastBoot-RecoveryCommand

Once listed as done, now reboot the Xoom by holding “Volume Up” and “Power”

Step 16: Make Sure you do this on the First Reboot
Now enter “Recvoery Mode”, by pressing “Volume Down” when DualCore Motorola logo is on the screen. Choose “Recovery Mode” by pressing “Volume Down”, then press “Volume Up”, the screen should look like the below:

ClockworkMod

Step 17:
Select to Backup the device from the menu, by “Volume Up” and “Volume Down” with “Power” as select

Step 18:
Now select to update from the update.zip on the sdcard. Wait till this completed and reboot Xoom.

Your Xoom is now Rooted.

1. Shiyam Sundar G
    May 22nd, 2012 at 19:16 | #1

if i do this will my warrenty get void

• May 22nd, 2012 at 22:36 | #2

When you “unlock” the device, you will void your warranty “technically” so if this is a concern I would not attempt this.

2. Shiyam Sundar G
    May 22nd, 2012 at 19:37 | #3

can u explain this in video

• May 22nd, 2012 at 22:37 | #4

As I have already completed this on my Xoom, I created this how-to based on my attempt, I will not be able to create a video of this.

3. Shiyam Sundar G
    May 23rd, 2012 at 02:56 | #5

Can u explain clearly about step 13 I have exactly same model u have

4. Shiyam Sundar G
    May 23rd, 2012 at 02:59 | #6

Can u give direct download like for img file in step 13 I have exactly same that u have

5. Shiyam Sundar G
    May 23rd, 2012 at 03:17 | #7

Where did u get the version 4.0.4

Is there any way to unroot this if so may I know

6. Shiyam Sundar G
    May 23rd, 2012 at 23:43 | #8

Dan :

its ok thanks

7. Shiyam Sundar G
    May 23rd, 2012 at 23:45 | #9

Dan :

ok if it has bricked can i climb warrenty

8. Shiyam Sundar G
    May 27th, 2012 at 15:47 | #10

reply plz

9. May 27th, 2012 at 18:01 | #11

@Shiyam Sundar G
    With Step 13 you will need to ensure that you download the recovery image from the CWM webiste, as linked in the original post.

However I found that the LAIOT tool was working when I thought that it wasn’t. What I would recomend you use in the LAIOT tool and root the xoom through this.

All you need to ensure is that when the xoom reboots, for the first time after you have completed the root steps with the tool that you enter the recovery mode then. If you enter at this point it will work and you will be able to run the update.zip from sdcard command without needing to download this version from the ClockWork Mod site.

The LAIOT tool comes with a custom version of the ClockWork Mod image that allows you to load images from the SD Card and not the internal memory.

10. May 27th, 2012 at 18:03 | #12

@Shiyam Sundar G
    I’m not really sure if you have bricked the xoom if you can claim warranty. Again if you are worried about this, then maybe rooting your xoom is not the best option for you.

11. May 27th, 2012 at 18:04 | #13

@Shiyam Sundar G
    I got 4.0.4 from the Clockwork Mod site as linked in the original post. However once you complete this process and install ICS on the xoom, you can download the Clockwork Mod “Rom Manager” that will allow you to update to 4.0.4 from within the ICS GUI.

12. Shiyam Sundar G
    May 28th, 2012 at 01:51 | #14

thankz man

13. Shiyam Sundar G
    May 28th, 2012 at 23:25 | #15

after step 8 it shows than its not proceeding help

14. May 29th, 2012 at 23:01 | #16

@Shiyam Sundar G

Shiyam Sundar G :

after step 8 it shows than its not proceeding help

What do you mean by not processing?
    Are you being presented with the normal boot screen but it has text in the top left?
    Does the boot sequence of your xoom halt on the boot screen?
    What is your command prompt showing at this point in time?

15. Shiyam Sundar G
    May 30th, 2012 at 00:09 | #17

there is no change in xoom

16. May 30th, 2012 at 22:06 | #18

Shiyam Sundar G :

there is no change in xoom

A little more detail of what is happening is required than this if you want some assistance.

17. Shiyam Sundar G
    May 30th, 2012 at 23:39 | #19

what do u need

18. May 31st, 2012 at 00:20 | #20

@Shiyam Sundar G
    What are you seeing on the PC and xoom?
    What does the command prompt window say?
    Does it detect your xoom when plugged in via the usb?
    What are the steps you are taking to get to this error?

19. XxLordxX
    June 10th, 2012 at 05:29 | #21

I’m the creator of this script! BTW, Linux version is released and it’s even better than the Windows one :D, I’m just adding some more tools to it now.

20. Renz
    July 5th, 2012 at 11:35 | #22

Help!! stuck on fast boot protocol support T_T

21. diogenis
    July 15th, 2012 at 05:05 | #23

Hello,
    Thank you for the help, but I lose a lot of hours to 15-17 steps .
    The command line don’t recognize what I type for many hours.
    Please send me some help.

22. Bill
    October 30th, 2012 at 12:33 | #24

Hi Dan,
    Thanks for your guide! I followed it through, and it seemed to work – however I still don’t have root.
    After going through the process, I have Superuser.apk installed, and also su is in /system/bin so I assume that part has worked correctly. However if I open a shell and try to su, I get permission denied. I’ve also tried some other apps that require root, and they fail too.
    The only difference that I know of, is that my Xoom was already on 4.0.4 rather than 3.2 – could that difference cause it to fail?

Thanks
    Bill

23. November 5th, 2012 at 10:45 | #25

Pretty! This was a really wonderful post. Many thanks for providing this
    information.

24. January 3rd, 2013 at 20:20 | #26

“Root MZ601 Xoom Tablet (Telstra 3G)” was a really awesome posting,
    . I hope you keep authoring and I’ll keep on viewing! Regards ,Brianne

25. April 28th, 2013 at 08:38 | #27

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well
    written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your
    useful info. Thanks for the post. I will certainly return.

26. May 1st, 2013 at 19:47 | #28

Outstanding post, but what do you think about making a 2nd part to this article?
    Everything you covered was awesome, don’t misunderstand me, I simply believe there were some crucial problems you left unanswered.

1. May 9th, 2012 at 00:19 | #1